Northwestern University Technological Institute is a college located in Rock Spring, Georgia, and its service delivery area encompasses Catoosa, Chattooga, Dade, and Floyd Gordon Polk Walker counties. Offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Northwestern Engineering’s Whole-Brain Engineering philosophy can be seen through this event by linking artistic expression with technical ideas and inspiring cross-disciplinary dialogue regarding science and technology in society. Grayson credits ETOPiA’s success to its many sponsors.
Founded in 1893
This university has long been at the forefront of developing new fields of research, pioneering techniques to refine oil into high-octane fuel for use by aircraft and military applications during World War II, applying genetic engineering to medicine, as well as pioneering the integration of science with art – for instance, a recent investigation of metal alloys used in Picasso sculptures revealed they are predominantly comprised of high zinc brass alloy. This information will be showcased at an upcoming Art Institute of Chicago exhibition.
Orrington Lunt was another significant donor, having made his fortune trading grains on Chicago’s grain exchange before devoting much of his later life to giving back to Northwestern through donations such as his 1928 bequest providing funds for the Lunt Library and endowing ten professorships; Lunt was also responsible for enrolling Sarah Rebecca Roland – Northwestern’s inaugural female student – as his daughter Sarah Rebecca Roland in 1869.
Col. Henry Crown provided other significant gifts, leading to the construction of crucial campus buildings and several endowed centers – like Holabird & Root’s Crown Center, which houses classrooms and laboratories, serving both McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science and chemistry and physics departments.
Theodore Koch (1919-41) In 22 years as a University librarian, Theodore Koch expanded the library from 120,000 volumes to over 380,000 books. Together with President Walter Dill Scott, he helped secure a gift of $1 million from the Deering family for the construction of Lunt Library, which featured Gothic architecture with a reading room reminiscent of an English medieval college, shelving for over half a million volumes, and reading rooms designed to look like medieval English college libraries.
The Scientific Crime Detection Laboratory was founded in 1929 to conduct vital research and offer valuable services to police departments throughout the U.S. As the creator of lie detector technology and other investigative instruments, this facility played a significant role in law enforcement following the St Valentine’s Day Massacre of 1929.
Located in Evanston
Northwestern University does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/sexual orientation/pregnancy status/marital status/age/disability status/veterans status/genetic information/or reproductive health decisions in matters of admissions, employment, housing services or educational programs. Individuals who believe they have been victims of Title IX violations should contact the Office of Civil Rights and Compliance immediately.
The Technological Institute in Evanston, Illinois, is the main building for McCormick students and faculty. Constructed by Holabird & Root and built-in 1941, this building contains more than 750,000 square feet of classrooms, offices, laboratories, and research facilities, housing the McCormick School of Engineering along with Weinberg College departments of Chemistry & Physics.
Northwestern offers state-of-the-art equipment, computer labs for student use, a robotics laboratory, and the Jerome B. Cohen Commons faculty and staff dining room – as well as lecture rooms, classrooms, and a room finder system to locate specific rooms if you’re searching for them! Students also benefit from having access to a shuttle between Chicago and Evanston campuses (this service requires a Wildcard for use).
The Tech Institute is situated within an extensive network of buildings known as “The Technological Campus.” This includes Mudd Science and Engineering Library, Hogan Hall, Pancoe Life Sciences Pavilion, Center for Catalysis and Surface Science, and Cook Hall; pedestrian bridges connect some.
Northwestern’s Technological Institute is an epicenter for creativity, research, and innovation. Students and faculty work in world-class facilities while its alumni become leaders in their respective fields – notably, Deepak Ahuja, CFO at electric car manufacturer Tesla Motors; Virginia “Ginni” Rometty is CEO at IBM.
To reach the Technological Institute in Evanston, take Lake Shore Drive North to Sheridan Road. The building can be found at the corner of Sheridan and Noyes Streets, and parking is available either across from Noyes Street on Sheridan or at an adjacent garage marked 105; both require a visitor parking pass before entering Tech’s central plaza using entrance one on your map.
Founded as the College of Arts and Sciences
Northwestern University’s College of Arts and Sciences stands out among America’s finest schools with access to world-class professors, cutting-edge research facilities, more than 30 undergraduate degrees, and 100 graduate programs – such as Business Administration & Management Ph.D. and Engineering Management Master degrees – among them more than 30 undergraduate and over 100 graduate offerings including the Ph.D. in Business Administration & Management as well as several distinguished honors programs for exceptional students as well as unique study abroad programs.
The college is home to the acclaimed McCormick School of Engineering, established in 1909 and known for fostering a culture in which practical problem-solving drives innovation and discovery. Their rigorous four and five-year engineering programs for civil, mechanical, electrical, and aerospace prepare students for successful careers; notable alumni include Deepak Ahuja from Tesla Motors as CFO; Virginia “Ginni” Rometty CEO of IBM and Daryl Morey, general manager of NBA team Houston Rockets as notable alumni.
Northwestern is widely recognized as one of the premier American universities on both undergraduate and graduate levels. Furthermore, Northwestern is a significant economic and cultural contributor to the Chicago region. It has provided generations of lawyers, physicians, artists, musicians, athletes, business leaders, and scholars with essential skills needed for success in their chosen fields.
University has long been recognized as an authority in both education and research. Under Walter Dill Scott’s presidency from 1920-1939, Northwestern established a professional school in Chicago designed by James Gamble Rogers; began expanding its Evanston campus – including Dyche Stadium (now Ryan Field) and Deering Library; and played an essential role in creating the National Reserve Officers Training Corps. Franklyn B. Snyder was president from 1939 to 1949 at Northwestern, overseeing turbulent and exciting years during World War II. With enrollments skyrocketing thanks to the GI Bill, drastic expansion took place both on Chicago and Evanston campuses; furthermore, Northwestern anthropologist Melville J. Herskovits helped establish one of America’s first programs dedicated to African studies at an American academic institution – thus becoming known as its pioneer Program of African Studies (PAS).
Northwestern College boasts an illustrious legacy of generosity. Co-founder Orrington Lunt was known to use his wealth from commodities trading to become one of the greatest philanthropists ever, endowing not only Northwestern’s first library but also orphanages and churches and eventually founding one of America’s first Methodist hospitals – Rock Spring Hospital.
Founded as the College of Engineering
Northwestern University’s College of Engineering stands out among American engineering schools with internationally-recognized graduate and undergraduate programs, receiving over $550 million annually in sponsored research grants from sponsors. Students and faculty alike strive to push the limits of their fields with innovative discoveries that further society or create business opportunities.
The early 1900s saw an increasing emphasis on applied engineering at the college as classes for woodshop and foundry students gave way to laboratories specializing in kinematics, vibrations and stress analysis, gas dynamics, and material science. Mechanical, chemical, and industrial engineering degrees were offered for study. Furthermore, the Cold War space race competition encouraged an emphasis on applied sciences that resulted in the formation of a materials research center.
Today, the university is an internationally acclaimed global university with an expansive global network of campuses and research centers worldwide. Students hail from every U.S. state and 150+ nations; its research is recognized internationally; faculty have won multiple prestigious awards; it is a member of the Association of American Universities, offering many masters and doctoral programs across many fields of study.
Northwestern was established as a private, coeducational institution in 1881 and today enjoys an enviable reputation for research and innovation, ranking among the top 20 US universities with students participating in numerous funded research projects funded by national and international organizations. Furthermore, its athletic teams compete within the Big Ten Conference, where many championships have been won.
The original university building, commonly called “Tech,” was completed between 1940 and 1942. Its sprawling design with six wings profoundly affected how interdisciplinary learning would continue at that university.
The Daily Northwestern, written and edited by undergraduate journalism students enrolled at Medill School of Journalism, is published on weekdays throughout the academic year and has earned many journalistic accolades. Another student publication available to readers online is North by Northwestern magazine.